Sports Therapy is an aspect of healthcare that is specifically concerned with the prevention of injury and the rehabilitation of patients back to optimum levels of functional, occupational and sports specific fitness, regardless of age and ability.
It utilises the principles of sport and exercise sciences incorporating physiological and pathological processes to prepare the participant for training, competition and where applicable, work. Sport and Exercise Therapy is not just about Sports Massage. However, Sports Therapists will possess massage skills that are an integral part of their scope of practice.
At Swansea Clinic of Natural Medicine our sports therapists are able to diagnose and treat a wide range of injuries, as well as this, they are also able to advise on the best course of treatment for you to undertake, whether it be with them or with one of our Osteopaths.
Benefits of Sports Massage are:
- Reduction in muscle stiffness, pain and fatigue
- Increase in flexibility and range of movement
- Improved balance between muscles
- Greater postural awareness
- Improve the speed and quality of soft tissue repair
Effects of Sports Massage are:
- Stimulates circulation
- Decongests the tissues and improves tissue drainage
- Removes metabolic waste
- Increases the uptake of oxygen and nutrients to the tissue cells
- Increases the rate of tissue repair by improving soft tissue mobility and formation of collagen